Are The House Spiders In Omaha A Huge Problem For Homeowners?
Do you recall a particularly stressful time in your life? Stressful times often rob us of sleep or relaxation because when we lie down, our minds are still whirling with questions and mental replays of the situation. Stress can take a toll on your body and your mental health. Although many things in life can stress us, the last thing we need to cause stress is the presence of spiders in our homes. Yet, when you have a spider infestation, you cannot relax and are constantly on high alert.
If spiders are causing anxiety, if they are destroying a sense of peace, you need the best Omaha pest control technicians from Beeline Pest Control. Continue reading to learn about spiders in Omaha and how to keep them out of your house.
The Types Of Spiders You May Find In Your Omaha Home
Thousands of spider species exist worldwide, and although we have our share of spiders in Nebraska, thankfully, they do not all live in Omaha! These are spiders commonly found in our area:
- House spiders: Although they vary in color, these common indoor spiders are yellowish-brown and have an extended abdomen. Webs in garages, barns, sheds, or under window eaves indicate their presence.
- Wolf spiders: This dark spider with long legs and a hairy body does not create webs to catch its prey but chases them down. Unlike most spiders who have poor eyesight, wolf spiders have clear vision. These spiders live underneath furniture and along baseboards.
- Black widow spiders: These black, shiny spiders have a red hourglass shape on the underside of their abdomen. They live underneath decks and stones and in firewood piles where they construct messy webs used to catch insects. One of two venomous spiders in the United States, a bite from a black widow can cause fever, sweating, nausea, and other flu-like symptoms. Seek medical treatment to avoid more severe reactions.
- Yellow sac spiders: This spider species is responsible for most spider bites in the United States. Although their wounds do not cause medical conditions, they can initially be painful and cause a rash or blister at the bite site. Even though the color yellow identifies them, most are not yellow! Like wolf spiders, they hunt prey, but unlike wolf spiders, they create funnel-like nests that they use as a retreat during the day.
These are some of the common spiders in Nebraska you may find in your Omaha home.
What It Means If You're Seeing Spiders Inside The House
Spiders in the house are an indication of an insect problem. Spiders eat insects, and when insects enter homes, spiders follow them. A spider infestation may indicate the presence of disease-spreading insects like cockroaches, mosquitoes, flies, and flies. Spiders also consume moths, butterflies, crickets, and ants; while these don't spread disease (except pharaoh ants), they contaminate food products.
Six Simple Spider Prevention Tips
The best way to get rid of spiders is to prevent them from infesting your Omaha home by implementing these six tips:
- Seal cracks in the foundation, around doors and winds, and along the roof line.
- Repair holes in window and door screens.
- Limit the use of outdoor lighting at night to restrict insect attraction.
- Remove debris from the yard and relocate firewood 20 feet from the structure.
- Inspect firewood before bringing it into the house.
- Trim tree branches and shrubs to prevent them from touching the home.
If you put these tips into practice and keep the interior and exterior of your Omaha home free from clutter and clean, you will keep spiders away.
The Most Effective Spider Control For Omaha Homes
In addition to implementing the six pest control steps listed to prevent spiders from entering your Omaha home, you need Beeline Pest Control to eliminate the spiders in your house. When you schedule an inspection, we will determine the cause of the infestation, hot spots, and entry points. We will treat your home to eradicate the spiders and their eggs. If another pest is responsible for attracting the spiders, we will remove them so they can no longer attract spiders. Contact us today and get a free quote. Remember, whatever the pest, Beeline Pest Control is the best!